Friday 2 September 2011

Major Project Unit- idea development

So I am looking into doing a doc series, and here is a sort of brainstorm of my thoughts in how to get an idea(s)

-BBC3/ Channel 4 target - therefore not so heavy, more personal, human interest, mainly youth orientated
- look up the production companies that have made docs that i like
- look for a 'gap' in the market in terms of what bbc3/ channel 4 may not have made a doc about before
- check out local press stories, as finding a local story is going to be much more viable to actually make
- what would i like to see?
- check out newspapers, helen said especially The Mail has a lot of human interest stories
- find a WHY for the story e.g a recent event, anniversary etc
- turn the story on its head, for example, a recent story has been the london riots, but that is too 'heavy' for my interests, however
if I could find a sort of bi-story of the people affected, it could alot more personal and lighter.



So, I looked up the production company that made BBC3's "Small teen, big world", which is Nine Lives Media, and it conspired that they also made -
"Nightmare in Suburbia: The Perfect Murder (#3.1)" (2011) ... Production Company
World's Oldest Conjoined Twins Move Home (2010) (TV) ... Production Company
Losing One of My Giant Legs (2010) (TV) ... Production Company
Dancer with Tiny Legs (2010) (TV) ... Production Company
Small Teen, Big World (2010) (TV) ... Production Company
The Man with Half a Body (2010) (TV) ... Production Company
"Extraordinary People: Britain's Tiniest Toddlers" (2009) ... Production Company
"Nightmare in Suburbia" (2008) ... Production Company
"Nightmare in Suburbia: Kidnapped (#1.6)" (2008) ... Production Company


I then looked up "Tulisa, my mum and me" and found this was made by MentornMedia, who also made a massive number of other similar pieces -
"Underage and pregnant", "Katie: My Beautiful Friends", "An Idiot abroad", "Night Cops", "I can't stop stealing", "Cutting edge: Katie: My beautiful face", "The man who can't stop hiccupping", "Cutting edge: Madeleine was her" and many many more!

Equally, Firecracker Films produced "Big Fat Gypsy Wedding", "Glamour Models, Mum and Me", "Our daughter the mermaid", "Baboon Woman", "My Penis and Everyone else's", "The Man who loves with Bears", "Pyromania", "Lock up your sons" and many many many more.




1 comment:

  1. Now you know what is already being made it should give you a steer as to what sort of programmes are commissioned. As I mentioned in our session, try to think of the sort of area you are interested in and then do the usual - RESEARCH! Like the new look blog. Great start.

    ReplyDelete